A lawyer representing Tucker Carlson reportedly told a political action committee trying to recruit the far-right wing TV personality as a presidential candidate to knock it off.
“Mr. Carlson will not run for President in 2024 under any circumstances, and therefore your misrepresentations are damaging to Mr. Carlson and defrauding his supporters,” attorney Harmeet Dhillon wrote in a letter to the Draft Tucker PAC obtained by the Daily Beast.
The PAC launched last week with a tweet praising the former prime-time star for being “articulate” and stated he’d beat President Joe Biden in a debate.
“Republicans need a new leader that can stand up to Biden,” that tweet said.
Dhillon’s three-page cease-and-desist letter accused “Draft Tucker” organizers of “trading on (Carlson’s) good name to raise money for an organization Mr. Carlson does not support.”
Carlson’s attorney vowed to use all legal means to end the PAC’s fundraising efforts as they pertain to the 53-year-old entertainer. The Twitter account @DrafttuckerPAC wasn’t active Tuesday morning. Dhillon tweeted after that Twitter account was created to emphasize that the PAC was unauthorized and contributing to it would be “fruitless.”
Carlson has been publicly supportive of GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, though racist, sexist and otherwise revealing text messages obtained by Dominion Voting Systems in its lawsuit against Fox News indicate the popular pundit secretly detests the ex-president.
Texts from Carlson also revealed he knew there were no grounds for conspiracy theories Fox News promoted about Dominion voting equipment contributing to Trump’s loss in the 2020 election. The network paid a staggering $787.5 million to keep that voting technology company’s case from going to trial.
Carlson and Fox News parted ways after the settlement. He claims to be bringing his act to Twitter soon.
The parties to whom Dhillon’s cease-and-desist letter was sent didn’t respond to the Daily Beast’s request for comment.